Last week this statement became much more meaningful to me. Some of you know what happened, but to fill in the rest, here is why:
On Tuesday, March 31st, I took Ashley and Joshua to their ball games. Amber went with us. Ashley finished her game (which she is doing quite well - in fact they have put her at first base and this is her first year at playing) and I started walking over to Joshua's game. The game was just getting started and so I was in no hurry. About 1/3 of the way there, my heart all of a sudden started racing, I was dizzy, sweating a lot, and sick to my stomach. I found a light pole to stand against and took deep breaths trying to slow my heart down. After 5-6 minutes, it finally did.
I then was able to finish getting to the bleachers. Ashley and Amber came and sat by me. We watched about an inning of Joshua's game and I told Amber that I was not feeling well and was going to lay down in the van. I spoke with Joshua's team mom to let her know that Amber would be picking up Joshua after the game. She said I didn't look very well. Amber walked with me to the van. After about 10 minutes, she said she was going to the restroom. She did, but then she went and got some help. I guess I was looking pretty bad by now.
Five people came over to the van and they said I didn't look good. They kept wanting to call for an ambulance, but me in my stubborness (and of course, concern about my 3 kids) said no, that I would wait until Josh's game was over and then go home. I would be okay. They were quite persistent. I asked them to give me a few minutes and after they left, I prayed and told the Lord I needed to know if I should go to the hospital. Immediately my heart started racing super fast. I took that as my answer and as soon as I had made the decision to go, it "slowed" a little. When they returned, I told them to call an ambulance.
When the paramedics arrived, they took my pulse. It was over 200 beats per minute. My blood pressure was 200+/150+. They didn't give me a choice. I was immediately put into the ambulance and three guys started working on me trying to get an IV line into me. Afterwards, I counted 11 different areas where they tried, including 4 different times in my neck. They couldn't get one - they took me with lights and sirens.
In the emergency room, they finally got a line in. The doctor told me they were going to give me some medicine to help slow down my heart (it was still over 200 bpm - and I guess I was not looking well at all). He said it would make me sick for just a few seconds. He gave me 6 cc of the medicine, it did nothing. They then gave me 12 more - sick I got, but it was quick. My heart finally started to slow down. They took x-rays and ran blood tests (everything came back fine).
I was diagnosed with supraventricular tachycardia (SVT). This is where the heart "electrical system" goes haywire - it is not a heart attack (in fact, my heart looked good as far as blood flow, size, etc.). They sent me home about 3 hours later with a follow-up with my doctor in a couple days. She gave me medicine to help keep my blood pressure down and try to prevent another attack. I go to the cardiologist on Monday, April 13th. I will let you all know more when I find out what he has to say.
I am doing pretty well. I tire easily and so I don't do too much (other than taking kids to their practices and games).
Thursday, April 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh Peg that is awful. I actually know about SVT from a blog I follow. It is bad stuff. Thanks for letting me know. I will pray for you. Keep me posted on whats going on. Take care.
ReplyDelete